I know the answer to the question can a generator get wet is going to sound a little crazy because most people buy a portable generator to provide backup power during a power outage.
And most power outages occur during storms, which usually include heavy rain or snow.
However, here’s the answer to the question…
Can A Generator Get Wet?
No, a generator should not get wet, especially when running. A generator is designed to produce electricity; electricity and water do not mix.
If you need to run your generator in the rain or snow, then you should ensure it’s located in a dry and well-ventilated spot * and follow the Manufacturer’s Safety Guidelines.
Several popular options designed to help keep your portable generator from getting wet during storms include generator tents and generator covers specifically designed to be used while your generator is running.
Can You Cover A Generator While It’s Running?
Yes, you can cover a generator while it’s running, but only if the generator cover or tent is designed for use on a running generator.
Generator Cover While Running
I recently ordered a new DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator. I’m using an IGAN generator cover while it’s running instead of the plywood sheet I used to use with my old generator. The IGAN is a fantastic “generator cover while running” solution designed to be used even when the generator is running!
DIY Homemade Generator Cover While Running
I used to build my own DIY generator cover for my old generator by putting it under a tree during a storm (i.e., when it was raining or snowing). Then, I covered the generator with a large sheet of plywood strapped to the generator’s frame with a couple of red bungee cords. It’s not the prettiest homemade generator cover while running you’ve ever seen, but it worked.
Can A Generator Run In The Rain?
Yes, a generator can run in the rain if it does not get wet. That means you should only run your generator in a dry, well-ventilated location. A popular option is to use a generator tent or a running generator cover to keep your generator dry while running it in wet or snowy conditions.
Are Generators Waterproof?
No, generators are not waterproof and should always be kept dry, even during storage. If you need to use your generator in the rain or snow, follow the manufacturer’s safety guidelines.
I also recommend using a specially designed generator tent or running generator cover to help protect it from rain or snow.
Will Rain Ruin A Generator?
Yes, rain will ruin a generator, even when it’s not running. Rust, insects, and dirt can all significantly shorten the life of your generator.
An inexpensive PVC waterproof storage cover will help protect it when stored outside. However, you’ll need a specially designed generator tent or running generator cover to protect your generator from rain or snow while it’s running.
Another thing that will ruin your backup power source is the lack of proper generator maintenance.
*Warning: Never run a gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas, or any other fuel-powered generator in a house, attached garage, or close to any other living area because all fuel-powered generators produce deadly carbon monoxide gas when running, including propane generators. Please check out our other Generator Safety Tips.
Having problems despite your best efforts? Learn how to troubleshoot your portable generator
- 【CO Alarm and Parallel Function】 The NEXPOW portable inverter generator adopts a sensor CO alarm, If used in a confined environment, it reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning for consumers. The generator also features AC parallel operation, allowing you to easily connect two generator units with the same voltage and frequency in parallel to increase power output.
- 【Eco Mode and EPA Certification】 The NEXPOW portable inverter generator has obtained EPA certification, ensuring safe and reliable use. It also includes an Eco mode feature that extends the runtime. By using the eco switch, the fuel tank can run for more than 10 hours at 25% load.
- 【Upgraded Configuration】NEXPOW inverter generator is used high-quality copper wire as the core material, which has excellent conductivity and high thermal conductivity,This 2250W portable inverter generator is equipped with 79.7cc 4-stroke OHV single-cylinder engine, a forced air cooling system, and overhead valves. It is also equipped with a muffler, fuel filter, air filter, and more. We have added more configurations than traditional generators, allowing you to use it with greater safety.
- 【Multipurpose Portable Inverter Generator】It produces 2250W of surge power and 1800W of rated power with an overload protection function. It is easy to run a small house lighting system or other appliances such as a refrigerator. You can rest assured to use it for outdoor living, RV travel, vacation, food trucks, and any situation that requires power.
- 【Super Quiet Mode】NEXPOW generator is equipped with an advanced muffler and adopts a fully enclosed design mode, which greatly reduces the noise when the product is running. Compared with other traditional generators, NEXPOW Generator is an ultra-quiet mode, at a distance of 23 feet, the decibel level of the product running in ECO mode is 58 decibels, which is almost equal to the sound of normal talking or a dishwasher running, there is virtually no disturbance to the user or anyone nearby.
- 12500 Peak Watts, 9500 Running Watts (Gasoline); 11200 Peak Watts, 8500 Running Watts (Propane); 9500 Peak Watts, 7500 Running Watts (Natural Gas); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge.Rated Speed (RPM) : 3600. THD : ≤ 23%
- Features Two GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Receptacle, One Transfer Switch Ready 120V L14-30R, and One RV Ready 120/240V 14–50R; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Shutdown, and Digital Hour Meter
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, and Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel smell; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed By 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage and Nationwide Customer Service Network
- Compact and Portable: Portable generator weighing just 39 pounds and featuring a compact design (19” L x 13” W x 20” H), this generator is incredibly easy to transport and store. Its built-in handle and small footprint make it a hassle-free companion for your outdoor escapades.
- Whisper-Quiet Operation: Our quiet generator equipped with ECO-mode technology, our generator operates at a noise level as low as 56 dBA. Enjoy the serenity of nature without the disruptive noise of traditional generators, making it ideal for camping trips and quiet neighborhood environments.
- Versatile Outputs: The gas generator provides a variety of output options to meet your needs. It includes two 120V 15.8amp household outlets for standard appliances, one 12V DC outlet for automotive accessories, and two 5V USB ports for charging your smartphones, tablets, and other gadgets.
- Expandable Power: This generator is parallel-capable, allowing you to connect another 2500-watt PowerSmart inverter generator for double the power output (equivalent to a 30amp, 4000W generator). Perfect for RV enthusiasts and those with higher power requirements.
- Environmentally Friendly: This generator is EPA certified and CARB compliant, meeting strict emissions standards. You can use it with confidence, knowing you’re using an eco-friendly power solution, even in California.
- Pure Sine Wave Inverter – Less than 2.5% THD. Covered 120V Max20A 60HZ AC outlets (NEMA 5-20) and 12V Max8.3A DC output are protected by circuit breakers.
- Gas Generator – 80cc 4-stroke air-cooled OHV gasoline engine. 1.37 gal fuel tank allows 13 hours run time @25% load. 4800 rpm max engine speed and 9.1:1 compression ratio.
- Quiet and Fuel Efficient – As low as 65 dB with double-insulated acoustic enclosure, asymmetrical cooling fans, automatic RPM control and low tone mufflers to reduce operating noise.
- 2500 Peak Watts and 2000 Running Watts – Perfect for running sensitive electronics like LCD/plasma televisions, laptops, tablets, or mobile devices that require clean, stable power.
- Parallel Ready – Connect two inverter generators using a parallel kit (not included) to double your power output.