Honda’s EM5000SX 5000-watt generator is impressive and dependable. Here’s a generator that can provide plenty of power for your home or business but is quiet enough that you won’t disturb your neighbors if you run it at night. And it really can run all night: it features an automatic idle control system and other features that help save fuel, running for 10.5 hours at half load. Even at full load, it’ll run over 7 hours.
It also provides clean and stable power to run your electronics and high-end appliances safely and reliably.
However, if you are looking for a generator designed to be used at worksites and offers OSHA compliance, you should check out the Honda EB5000.
Honda EM5000SX Features
- iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator)
- 120/240V Selector switch for more 120V power
- Electric start
- Range of outlets:
- Two 125V/20A GFCI household outlets
- One 125V 30 AMP twist-lock outlet
- One 125/250V 30 AMP twist-lock outlet
- Automatic Low Oil Shutdown/Alert
- CO Sensor Shutdown
- USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler
- Electronic circuit breakers
- 3-year residential and commercial warranty
- Wheel kit and folding handles included
- Easy access grounding terminal.
What is Voltage Stability, and Why is it Important?
When the voltage is too low, it can cause your tool or appliance’s motor to spin slower and have less torque. This results in less available horsepower to get the job done. On the other hand, if the voltage is too high, it can create excessive heat that can diminish the overall lifespan of the motor.
That’s why some Honda generators use AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation). AVR keeps your generator’s voltage more stable than conventional generators, resulting in better performance and protection for your tools.
Honda’s AVR system is designed to provide more reliable output voltage detection without being affected by the change in temperature or load current. Additionally, the self-diagnosis function of the AVR prevents irregular voltage by keeping the engine speed from exceeding 4,140 rpm for an extended period. The system also protects the generator from overheating. Overall, AVR provides several benefits, making it a good choice for most situations.
This model has the iAVR version of AVR, which offers up to 10 seconds of extra starting power above the maximum rating. This additional power is helpful for high-amp start-up applications, like refrigerators and air compressors, that briefly require additional power to get started.
Quick Tip: Inverter generators, like the Honda EU7000iS, provide even cleaner power and have better voltage stability.
Honda EM5000SX Specs
- 7.1 hour runtime at 100% Load
- 10.5 hour runtime at 50% Load
- 389cc commercial grade iGX engine
- Digital ignition
- Self-tuning regulator
- Electronic governor
- Reduced vibration and noise level
- Cast iron cylinder sleeve
- Automatic mechanical de-compression system for easier starting
- Peak Wattage (for up to 10 seconds): 7000 watts
- Max Wattage (for up to about 30 minutes): 5000 watts
- Running Wattage: 4500 watts
- Weight: 226.4 lbs
- 6.2 gal Gas Tank
- Volume: 63-66 dB(A)
Honda EM5000SX Conclusion
The Honda EM5000SX 5000 Watt Generator is powerful, efficient, and reliable. The versatile 120/240-volt outlets make it a good choice for various situations. Honda’s exclusive iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator) ensures more consistent power by holding voltage stability within a +/- 1% range during operation and provides up to 10 seconds of a 20% power boost.
- Powerful Starting Capability: This generator offers an impressive 7,000 watts of power for 10 seconds, making it suitable for starting larger equipment with ease.
- Versatile Power Supply: You can rely on this generator to power essential household appliances, including the fridge, furnace, well pump, and much more, providing peace of mind during power outages.
- Extended Run Time: With a long run time of up to 10.5 hours, this generator ensures a continuous and reliable power source for extended periods.
- Convenient Electric Start: The electric start feature simplifies the generator’s operation, making it easy to power up when needed.
- Honda My Generator App + Bluetooth® Capability: Connect and control your generator with ease using the Honda My Generator app, which benefits from Bluetooth® capability for seamless operation.
- CO-MINDER Advanced Safety: Safety is a top priority with the CO-MINDER advanced carbon monoxide detection system, ensuring your protection from potential CO hazards.