Honda’s EM5000SX 5000 watt generator is impressive and dependable. Here’s a generator that can provide plenty of power for your home or business, but is quiet enough that you won’t disturb your neighbors if you’re running it at night. And it really can run all night: it features an automatic idle control system and other features that help save fuel, running for 10.5 hours at half load. Even at full load it’ll run over 7 hours.
Not only that, but it provides power clean and stable enough to run your your electronics and high end appliances safely and reliably.
Table of Contents
Honda EM5000SX Features
- iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator)
- 120/240V Selector switch for more 120V power
- Electric start
- Range of outlets:
- Two 125V/20A GFCI household outlets
- One 125V 30 AMP twist-lock outlet
- One 125/250V 30 AMP twist-lock outlet
- Automatic Low Oil Shutdown/Alert
- CO Sensor Shutdown
- USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler
- Electronic circuit breakers
- 3 year residential and commercial warranty
- Wheel kit and folding handles included
- Easy access grounding terminal (see our article “how to ground a generator“).
What is Voltage Stability and Why is it Important?
When voltage is too low, it can cause your tool or appliance’s motor to spin slower and have less torque. This results in less horsepower and less work being done. On the other hand, voltage being too high can create extra heat that can diminish the overall lifespan of the motor.
That’s why some Honda generators use AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation). AVR keeps your generator’s voltage more stable than conventional generators, resulting in better performance and protection for your tools.
Honda’s AVR systems are designed to provide more reliable output voltage detection, without being affected by the change in temperature or load current. Additionally, the self-diagnosis function of the AVR prevents irregular voltage by keeping the engine speed from exceeding 4,140 rpm for an extended period of time. The system also protects the generator from overheating. Overall, AVR provides a number of benefits that make it an advantageous choice for any use.
This model has the iAVR version of AVR, which offers the advantage of up to 10 seconds of extra starting power above the maximum rating. This additional power is useful for high-amp start-up applications, like refrigerators and air compressors that briefly require additional power to get started.
Quick Tip: Inverter generators, like the Honda EU7000iS, provide power that is even cleaner and have better voltage stability.
Honda EM5000SX Specs
- 7.1 hour runtime at 100% Load
- 10.5 hour runtime at 50% Load
- 389cc commercial grade iGX engine
- Digital ignition
- Self-tuning regulator
- Electronic governor
- Reduced vibration and noise level
- Cast iron cylinder sleeve
- Automatic mechanical de-compression system for easier starting
- Peak Wattage (for up to 10 seconds): 7000 watts
- Max Wattage (for up to about 30 minutes): 5000 watts
- Running Wattage: 4500 watts
- Weight: 226.4 lbs
- 6.2 gal Gas Tank
- Volume: 63-66 dB(A)
Honda EM5000SX Conclusion
The Honda EM5000SX 5000 Watt Generator is a powerful, efficient, and reliable generator; it’s versatile 120/240 volt outlets make it a good choice for a variety of situations. Honda’s exclusive iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator) ensures more consistent power by holding voltage stability within a +/- 1% range during operation, and provides up to 10 seconds of a %20 power boost.